Clean eating is a term that’s been bouncing around the health and nutrition world for a while. The simple idea behind it: Eat as many fresh, whole, minimally processed foods as you can. In the process, you’ll automatically avoid packaged foods, added sugars and refined grains. If that sounds complicated, it isn’t! Clean eating is just about choosing foods that you can eat in their natural state—and there’s no better time to clean up your plate than spring, when fresh produce is in abundance. Here, three tasty recipes that will help you eat cleaner this season.
Tomato, Watermelon and Feta Salad with Fresh Herbs
3 large heirloom tomatoes, cored and cut into a large dice
2 cups cubed seedless watermelon
½ red onion, thinly sliced
½ cup crumbled feta cheese
2 tbsp. chopped fresh herbs, such as basil or mint
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and season with a pinch of salt. Toss to combine.
Quinoa Pesto Primavera
1 cup quinoa
1 cup snap peas
1 lb. fresh asparagus, trimmed
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
2 cups cooked cubed chicken (optional)
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1 tbsp. pine nuts
1 large garlic clove
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the quinoa according to the package instructions. Transfer to a bowl.
- Cut the asparagus and snap peas into 1-inch pieces. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the asparagus, snap peas and peas, season with salt and pepper and cook until crisp-tender, about 6 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the quinoa and add the chicken, if using.
- In a food processor, process the basil, pine nuts and garlic to a fine paste. With the machine running, pour in the olive oil and keep processing until it’s incorporated. Add the cheese and pulse just to combine.
- Scoop the pesto into the bowl with the quinoa and veggies and toss to coat.
Fresh Berry Smoothie
1 cup your favorite milk
½ cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
2 cups fresh baby spinach
2 cups mixed berries, like strawberries, blueberries and raspberries
1 cup ice
- Add all the ingredients to a blender in order. Blend until smooth.